Du bist nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Life on Mars Forum - Gefangen in den 70ern. Falls dies dein erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lies bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird dir die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus solltest du dich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutze das Registrierungsformular, um dich zu registrieren oder informiere dich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls du dich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert hast, kannst du dich hier anmelden.

LifeOnMars

Assistant Commissioner

• »LifeOnMars« ist der Autor dieses Themas

Beruf: Anträgeschreiberin

• Private Nachricht senden

Montag, 15. November 2010, 22:13

Exile

Johns neues Projekt für 2011.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11755408

EDIT: Ein weiterer Artikel zu Exile.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/dr-who-s…velling-juliet/

Simm finds himself racing against time and his father’s dementia trying to get him to reveal a secret that not only will reveal a devastating crime – but also the reason why Simm was exiled from his family when he was a child.

Klingt richtig interessant. 2011 wird ein gutes Jahr! :D
My name is Sam Tyler. DCI Sam Tyler.
That much I do know! The rest is anyone's guess.
Because one minute I was in 2006, the next I'm in 1973!!!
So the question now is: What happened? Why am I here?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »LifeOnMars« (16. November 2010, 21:29)

LifeOnMars

Assistant Commissioner

Donnerstag, 18. November 2010, 19:16

Seit Montag laufen die Dreharbeiten. Hier sind ein paar Photos:

http://www.realradionorthwest.co.uk/even…w/photo-133350/

whokitten

Superintendent

Freitag, 19. November 2010, 18:56

Cooles Pic!!! :love:

Freu mich auch schon auf die ganzen genialen Projekte nächstes Jahr!! :thumbup:

Dienstag, 23. November 2010, 13:25

Uih, danke!

Jessie
"Don't be such a jessie!" (Gene Hunt)

LifeOnMars

Assistant Commissioner

Sonntag, 16. Januar 2011, 22:19

Ein weiteres Foto zu Exile:

Dienstag, 1. März 2011, 17:58

"Exile" könnte ja schon im April im englischen TV laufen ...

Laut Amazon.co.uk erscheint die DVD zu Exile am 9. Mai:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exile-DVD/dp/B004P9MW5I/

Danke an Peter Popper/TRA!

Jessie

LifeOnMars

Assistant Commissioner

Mittwoch, 30. März 2011, 02:01

Hier gibt es einige Infos zu Exile (auch bezüglich des Inhalts! Also Spoilerwarnung!). Ausgestrahlt wird das Ganze vermutlich ab Ende April.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12890291

Einige Fans sind schon in den Genuss der ersten Folge gekommen und schwärmen sehr davon. Nachzulesen hier: http://www.johnsimm.net/index.cgi?board=…lay&thread=2543

Freitag, 1. April 2011, 12:12

Hoffentlich kommt die DVD bald!!!

Jessie

Sonntag, 3. April 2011, 22:54

Gefunden von wibble/TRA:

http://www.beehivecity.com/politics/new-…-politics09877/

[spoiler]
New BBC One dramas to depict corruption and conspiracy of UK politics
April 3, 2011
By Adam Sherwin

Simm & Broadbent seek answers in Exile

It’s easy to see why politicians get a bad rap in TV drama given an expenses scandal far more lurid than anything a soap opera writer could dream up.

But the Westminster classes might question BBC One over a series of fictional commissions that take for granted that all who aspire to office are mired in petty corruption or the keeper of a murderous secret past.

First up is the welcome reunion of the State of Play team of John Simm and writer Paul Abbott for Exile, a three-part serial showing this month. State of Play, remade in Hollywood, set a marker for the modern, political conspiracy thriller.

Exile stars Simm, who once again plays a journalist who ends up sleeping with his best-friend’s wife. But on this occasion he’s a washed-up lads’ mag writer who after 18 years in London returns to his Lancashire home, where his father, played by Jim Broadbent, is suffering from Alzheimer’s.

Forced to reassess his life, Simm pieces together a scandal that his father, a once formidable local paper investigative journalist, had sought to expose, which involves powerful figures in the local council figure and constabulary. Simm unwittingly reveals a devastating crime that tore the family apart before he left for London.

Written by Danny Brocklehurst (The Street), Exile was originally devised by Abbott as a low-budget feature film, set in Washington. Relocated to Oldham, the drama neatly captures the push-and-pull of returning home to a small town.

There’s a nicely-observed scene where Simm visits the local pub to find the locals staring in silence at Question Time, which has been left playing on the TV screen, which is itself on mute. “Why do people do that?” asks Simm’s character, Tom.

The scenes depicting Tom’s mixture of frustration with his father’s failure to remember, anger and tender concern are well-played with Broadbent, who picked up a role initially intended for Pete Postlethwaite. Alzheimer’s does appear a convenient plot device though, as shards of Broadbent’s memory fleetingly return, to reveal details of the conspiracy which goes to the top of local politics.

The tension builds nicely over three hours (would it have been a six-parter like State of Play five years ago?) and the serial will be screened over consecutive nights this month. If it’s not exactly an advert for voting in the May local government elections, neither is another BBC One drama, The Fuse, announced this week.

Here we find Daniel Demoys, a former idealistic young man, who has become a council politician and inevitably, a corrupt one. He stands for Mayor of Manchester on a populist ticket as the candidate who speaks his mind. But Demoys is an alcoholic who has, rightly or wrongly, killed a man. Like Exile, it’s set in the north west and produced by Nicola Shindler.

Bill Gallagher, writer and executive producer, says: “I liked the idea of starting a story with a man who finds himself in a self-induced hell, and following him as he tries to make amends for the harm he has done. He happens to be a politician, so he has a chance to pay for his sins in his community.”

Glenister: Back on BBC in Undisclosed

Is there a pattern emerging? How about the new four-part conspiracy thriller for BBC One starring Philip Glenister, Simm’s Life On Mars partner-in-crime fighting. In Undisclosed, written by Ronan Bennett, the former Gene Hunt plays a small-time solicitor, Harry Venn, forced to delve into his murky past.

As in Exile, this investigation unwittingly uncovers the truth about a devastating family scandal. And wouldn’t you know it, Harry quickly finds himself “caught up in a much bigger and more complex conspiracy that reaches deep into the heart of the British political system.”

These dramas uses politics as a backdrop to examine issues like redemption and family relationships. And it’s hard to find a Hollywood thriller that doesn’t lead somewhere to an out-of-control government agency.

But it’s instructive that UK politics at a local and national level seems to have become an instantly understood shorthand for greed, corruption, lies and even murder in television drama without anyone suggesting it’s a conspiracy theory too far.

That might worry our elected representatives. Perhaps Lord Patten, the former Conservative cabinet minister, now in charge of the BBC Trust, might order a more positive portrayal of his former colleagues, currently wallowing in the mire as TV’s whipping boys.
Follow us on Twitter - Beehive City:@beehivecity Editor-at-large:@adamsherwin10

Click here to watch the latest music videos for free on Beehive's exclusive player
Elsewhere on the Hive...

* MoD wades in on BBC “Army bullying” Accused row* Update
* No more Doctor Who for Jay Hunt as she quits BBC One for Channel 4
* First Look: Doctor Who backs Labour

Tags: BBC One, doctor who, John Simm, life on mars, Paul Abbott, Politics

This entry was posted on April 3, 2011 at 2:24 pm and is filed under Politics, Television. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Leave a Reply[/spoiler]

Jessie

LifeOnMars

Assistant Commissioner

Mittwoch, 6. April 2011, 22:22

Ein Mini Interview mit John Simm, wo Exile erwähnt wird: http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainme…view-exile-show

Mittwoch, 6. April 2011, 22:31

Danke Dir!

Jessie

LifeOnMars

Assistant Commissioner

Samstag, 16. April 2011, 14:28

Samstag, 16. April 2011, 14:37

Danke, Life, hatte es auch grad auf TRA gesehen. :-)

Hab den Artikel jetzt nur überflogen, aber sieht ja so aus, als würde [spoiler]John mit ihr in der Szene sein, für die die gute Frau sich auszieht.[/spoiler] Hoffen wir mal das Beste! ;-)

Jessie

Dienstag, 19. April 2011, 16:55

Press Pack zu Exile - Achtung, Spoiler!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressre…/18/exile.shtml

Mit Dank an wibble/TRA!

Jessie

LifeOnMars

Assistant Commissioner

Dienstag, 19. April 2011, 21:58

Mittwoch, 20. April 2011, 13:28

Danke!!

DVD jetzt vorbestellbar:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Exile-DVD/dp/B004P9MW5I/

Erscheinungstermin ist jetzt der 13. Juni 2011.

Jessie

Edit:
Donnerstag, 21. April 2011, 14:16

Ian Wylie - Interview - Achtung, Spoiler!

Mit Dank an unturndownable in diesem Thread auf TRA:
http://domeofstars.com/forum/index.php?b….4146#msg525521
(zum Thema John als Master)

http://lifeofwylie.com/2011/04/21/exile-john-simm/#more-3690

April 21, 2011 · 10:15 am

Exile: John Simm

http://ianwylie.files.wordpress.com/2011…jpg?w=500&h=375

Jim Broadbent (Sam) and John Simm (Tom)

“DON’T measure me against him. He’s won an Oscar,” smiles John Simm.

We’re sat in a conference room at BBC TV Centre in west London, where a few days before I’d also interviewed Jim Broadbent.

John and Jim co-star in superb new BBC1 drama Exile, to be screened over three consecutive nights from Sunday May 1.

Relaxed in a grey V-neck jumper, white T-shirt and blue jeans, an unshaven John was in good spirits during the small round table chat back in January.

Where the conversation ranged from Hamlet to Harry and Paul via Exile, Doctor Who and Sam Tyler.

Regular readers will know of the many interviews I carried out over five years with the writers, casts and production teams of both Life On Mars and Ashes To Ashes.

As well as the detailed blogs here at Life of Wylie.

So it was interesting to hear John’s second thoughts during this interview about leaving Sam Tyler behind.

Honest reflections which I hope are not taken out of context elsewhere.

He also spoke about a possible return to Doctor Who and much else besides.

My first Exile feature is in today’s (Thursday) Manchester Evening News and below.

But, as ever, there was more from this interview that I couldn’t squeeze into the main piece.

Plus the later BAFTA preview screening of Exile followed by a Q&A, including John and Jim.

I’ll post that material in this blog next week, with extra photos.

Along with that separate Jim Broadbent interview.

http://ianwylie.files.wordpress.com/2011…jpg?w=500&h=333

John Simm (Tom) and Jim Broadbent (Sam)

JOHN Simm does his best to cope with the fame game. But he isn’t happy when it gets too intrusive.

The Lancashire-raised actor admits: “I find it excruciating. It’s horrible to get a cameraphone shoved in your face every time you walk out the door. Not nice.

“Especially when people don’t even acknowledge that you’re a human being. They just shove a phone in your face and try and film you and take your picture. That’s annoying. But there are genuine fans there and it’s hard to differentiate.”

The crowds who waited for John last year after his acclaimed peformances as Hamlet at Sheffield’s Crucible Theatre will testify to the time and effort he puts in for those real fans.

“I really tried my best at the stage door. After an exhausting night and maybe two shows a day – especially Hamlet twice a day, which should be illegal – it’s difficult to stand there for half an hour and chat and smile and to have your picture taken.

“But sometimes it isn’t. Sometimes it’s fine, if they don’t encroach too much. So it’s swings and roundabouts. And like Laurence Olivier said, if we didn’t have an audience you’d just be talking to yourself in an empty room. I wouldn’t have a job.”

John, 40, won plaudits for his role as investigative reporter Cal McCaffrey in State Of Play, written by Paul Abbott. But he plays a very different kind of journalist in three-part BBC1 drama Exile, screened on consecutive nights from Sunday May 1.

Tom Ronstadt is a washed up celebrity snooper, just sacked from his job with London magazine Ransom. High on drink and drugs, he seeks refuge with his lover, who happens to be married to the editor. A role taken by John’s real life actress wife Kate Magowan. Woken at 3am, she slams the front door in his face. But not before he slaps her.

That’s the catalyst for Tom to get in his flash Lotus sports car and head north up the M1 in this drama created by Abbott and written by Hyde-born Danny Brocklehurst.

Tom drives to the Lancashire home he left some 18 years before, after his father Sam gave him an unexplained savage beating.

Olivia Colman (Nancy), Jim Broadbent (Sam) and John Simm (Tom)

Sam was a campaigning journalist on a top regional newpaper – “the equivalent of the Manchester Evening News” – and had caught his son looking at a file in his home office.

Now retired, the veteran reporter, played by Oscar-winning Jim Broadbent, is suffering from Alzheimer’s – looked after by Tom’s sister Nancy (Olivia Colman) – and, it appears, cannot answer the questions Tom has about the past.

It was revealed last year that Jim, 61, had taken over the role which was originally due to be filled by Warrington-born Pete Postlethwaite, who lost his long fight with cancer in January at the age of 64.

John recalls: “I’d never worked with Pete and thought, ‘Wow, this is going to be incredible.’ I was all geared up for that and then he was obviously very ill, so Jim took over. He’s also brilliant.”

Filmed in locations including Bury, Ramsbottom and Oldham Athletic’s Boundary Park ground, the drama is the first to come from Hale-based AbbottVision and was produced by Manchester’s Red Production Company.

It was also Nelson-raised John’s first TV job back in the North West since he starred as Manchester’s detective Sam Tyler, alongside Philip Glenister as “Manc Lion” Gene Hunt, in time travel cop drama Life On Mars.

“I spent most of my youth in Manchester, in clubs and football grounds and the Manchester Apollo,” he grins. “We moved all around Manchester, and in the outskirts, and then I left.

“I love Manchester. I always have, ever since I was a kid and I go back as much as I can. Manchester’s my spiritual home. I’ve been in London for 22 years now but Manchester’s the only other place, I think, in the country that I could live.”

John was in virtually every scene of Life On Mars and completed a punishing schedule over two series, away from his wife and two children. His decision to leave forced the writers to scrap plans for a third series and then unfold Gene’s untold story without him over three series of sequel Ashes To Ashes.

“If anything, maybe I was a bit hasty with that. I should have done another Life On Mars. Maybe one more,” he reflects.

“I missed my family and I missed being away from home. The reasons were genuine. If they’d have moved it to London, I would have done it.

“And then, ironically enough, they did the spin-off in London,” he laughs. “Ashes To Ashes was set in London. I saw that and I thought, ‘Oh, for God’s sake, we could have worked something out.’ It’s a shame. It’s gone now.”

http://ianwylie.files.wordpress.com/2011…jpg?w=500&h=315

DCI Gene Hunt (Philip Glenister) and DI Sam Tyler (John Simm)

He adds: “I get bored – it was, ‘I’ve done everything I can with this character, there’s nowhere else I can go.’ There were so many different reasons and a lot of them were the fact that I couldn’t do anything else with Sam Tyler. He just became a sort of shaking his head and tutting. He didn’t get the funny lines in it.

“I think they found it hard to write for him, whereas they got more and more pleasure of writing for Gene. Quite understandably, because he was a fantastic character to write for.

“And so I can feel a backlash coming – and I could in the back of my head with Life On Mars, that I thought we’d done enough. 16 hours non-stop on screen.

“It’s only now, with years and years and years of hindsight that I think, ‘It was so iconic that show.’ Then maybe one more. I don’t know. But there’s no point regretting things like that. They did Ashes To Ashes and that was a great success and Phil’s done fantastically well out of it. I had great fun. And I’m quite pleased with my 16 hours of Seventies’ cop drama.”

Some fans hoped he would return for the finale of Ashes. “No. That was never going to happen. It was a totally different show. I didn’t want to and they didn’t ask me.

“It was very strange. I watched the first episode and it was so weird watching those characters without me stood next to them. Because they were all in my head.

“I couldn’t deal with it. I found it very difficult to watch. But I loved playing Sam Tyler and I loved working with Phil. But, you know, I work with Phil every 10 minutes, so I’m not going to miss that.”

Set to film a second series of Sky1’s Mad Dogs with Glenister, John also doesn’t rule out returning to his role as The Master in Doctor Who.

“I’m sure I could but no-one’s mentioned it. Steven Moffat is a brilliant writer and it would be nice to see what he does with The Master. Maybe they’d want him to regenerate into somebody much younger. Somebody from Skins or something like that. Or a woman. And what would be wrong with that?

“They can do whatever they want with The Master. You’re at their mercy. But I’d seriously consider it if they asked me. I’d love to have a go at Matt Smith because I think he’s really great.”

Would John ever shy away from a high profile role because of the subsequent media and public attention they attract?

“Oh, no way, no. The attention is the attention, that’s what it is. But it’s not going to stop me doing things like that. I’m incredibly proud of Life On Mars and Doctor Who. They’re just a blast to do. Why not?

“You do the serious stuff, the classical stuff, the populist stuff and sci-fi stuff. You’re an actor, try everything.”

Exile begins on BBC1 at 9pm on Sunday May 1.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Jessie« (5. Juni 2011, 22:55)

Montag, 25. April 2011, 03:39

The Indepedent: John Simm: Antihero making headlines again

Danke an Emmie/TRA!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entert…in-2274361.html

John Simm: Antihero making headlines again

In BBC1's new psychological thriller, Exile, John Simm plays a sleazy journalist. He tells James Rampton why he prefers roles with a dark side

Monday, 25 April 2011

John Simm in 'Exile' BBC

More pictures

John Simm has given some memorable performances over the years.

Think of the troubled detective Sam Tyler in Life on Mars, the equally troubled journo Cal McCaffrey in State of Play, the even more troubled painter Vincent van Gogh in The Yellow House, and the most troubled of the lot, Hamlet. Do you see a pattern emerging here?

Simm does not disagree with the assessment. Sitting across the table from me in a faceless office at BBC Television Centre, the 40-year-old laughs that he is indeed attracted to the disturbed and the deranged. "I'm drawn to the dark side," says the actor, who won over a whole new following when he played The Master, Doctor Who's unhinged, bottle-blond nemesis.

"The dark side is more interesting, more complex. There's a lot going on with those characters – a lot of them are ill and have a complicated psyche to unravel," continues the father of two, who in person is much more cheerful and upbeat than the tormented souls he so often portrays on screen. "They're antiheroes."

Simm, who has also played such angst-ridden characters as Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment, Danny in The Lakes, Sexby in The Devil's Whore and Daniel in Sex Traffic, carries on that, "I prefer The Master to Doctor Who. The Master had to be able to match David Tennant's Doctor – he couldn't be a pantomime villain twirling his moustache. He was insane, manic, but still The Doctor's equal. He was like the Angel Gabriel – the chosen one who's fallen to Earth. Such fun to play!"

So would Simm like to get out the peroxide and play The Master again? "Well, the new Doctor, Matt Smith, is young, so they'll probably get someone from Skins to play The Master now!" grins the actor. "All the same, Steven Moffat [Doctor Who's show-runner] is a fantastic writer, so if he phoned, I'd love to have another go at The Master. Put that in, please!"

While he waits for Moffat's phone call, the actor has been busy incarnating another – surprise, surprise – man on the verge of a nervous breakdown. In BBC1's Exile, a new three-part drama created by Paul Abbott (Shameless, State of Play) and written by Danny Brocklehurst, who won a Bafta for his work on Shameless, Simm takes the role of Tom.

Tom is a dissolute, cocaine-snorting London journalist with a muck-raking celebrity magazine. Sacked from his job and ditched by his married lover (played by Simm's real-life wife, Kate Magowan), he is forced to return with his tail between his legs to his home town up North. As he shows his face there for the first time in 15 years, his long-suffering sister, Nancy (Olivia Colman from Peep Show), is not surprised Tom has hacked everyone off in London: "There's only so long you can behave like a prick before people get tired of you."

Strapped for cash, Tom is obliged to move in with Nancy and his father, Sam (Jim Broadbent), once a fearless investigative journalist but now an old man with Alzheimer's. Tom tries to get to the bottom of the shocking incident that made him leave home all those years ago – when, for no apparent reason, his father savagely beat him up. The drama is both potent and poignant.

Simm explains that Exile, which begins on 1 May, "Is such an intense, dark story. When Tom has to go home, his self-disgust goes overboard. But even on the way back, he has to pull over and have a line of coke at a service station. That's the kind of guy we're dealing with. He's not a nice man – but we slowly discover there's a reason for that. He gradually pulls himself together and becomes the journalist he's always wanted to be."

The actor acknowledges that he had to visit some pretty murky places when playing Tom. "In one of the first scenes in the drama, I had to hit my wife," Simm says. "It was really lovely to work with her – even though the scene was very grim. Suffice it to say, we didn't bring our kids on to the set that day! It was weird, but then I had to do lots of weird things on this production. In one scene, I had to half-drown Jim Broadbent in a bath. Tom does all these horrible things because he's at such a low ebb."

Simm also found it pretty grubby inhabiting the world of a dirt-digging reporter in Exile. "Of course, there are terrific crusading journalists out there who are really good news," says the actor. "Cal in State of Play, for instance, sacrifices everything for his cause. Cal is the guy Tom wants to be, but he has ended up snooping on celebrities and fitting them up. What do I think of those kinds of journalists? Like The Day Today, I'll express it in a face." And he proceeds to pull a face that indicates he's just cracked open a very rotten egg.

"Because of my job, I've been on the end of those people and been fitted up by them. When I was on The Lakes, a tabloid reporter went to my parents' house, interviewed them under false pretences and really upset my father. I was furious. So yes, I've been hurt by them. That's why I didn't need to research this. With the best will in the world, I didn't need to dirty my hands!"

Tom is the latest in a series of searing performances from Simm. But despite all these terrific turns in recent years, to some fans he will only ever be one thing: The Master. The actor is the first to admit that he should have been prepared for the attention of the famously dedicated Doctor Who aficionados – known in the trade as "Whovians". "I was asking for it, wasn't I?" the actor casts me a resigned smile. "I should have thought of that!"

Even so, Simm was taken aback by the extent of the fans' devotion when he played Hamlet in Sheffield last year. "When you do theatre, the fans know where you are every single night, and lots and lots of them turned up. It was sometimes lovely and sometimes freaky. I'd do Hamlet twice in one day and come out of the stage door to find fans with mountains of Doctor Who paraphernalia for me to sign. I had to keep smiling –and sometimes that was difficult. Sometimes I had to bite my tongue!"

That wasn't the most challenging aspect for Simm, however. "One night, the fans bought out the entire front row at Hamlet, and they all sat there in Doctor Who T-shirts. One T-shirt had a glow-in-the-dark picture of David Tennant on it. In the front row! I thought, 'Come on, give me a chance. I'm not blind. Please think about it before you put that on!'"

Having said that, Simm is quick to point out that there are definite benefits to acquiring such a high profile. "Some people brought their teenage sons along to Hamlet. Those lads would never in a million years have come to see Shakespeare otherwise, but they came because of The Master. That's why it sold out. If they came and loved it, I feel vindicated. There's a reason for everything."

The Whovians' devotion has certainly not held back Simm's career. Earlier this year, he starred alongside a dream-team cast of Philip Glenister, Marc Warren and Max Beesley in Sky 1's holiday-from-hell drama, Mad Dogs, a series which is going again this year. Simm was delighted to be reunited with Glenister, his old sparring partner on the widely adored time-travelling cop show, Life on Mars.

Simm values the partnership. "As Gene Hunt, Phil winged it and got all the praise," the actor deadpans, before adding: "Please put that I'm joking! I'm incredibly proud of the work we did on Life on Mars. Now Phil and I try to work together every year. We have an almost telepathic relationship after all the intense stuff we did together on that show. The challenge on Mad Dogs was to try and make the characters very different from Sam and Gene."

After such a hectic period of work – Simm went from one story about a man who has a very difficult relationship with his father (Hamlet) straight on to another (Exile) – what will the actor do next? "Whenever I've been really busy, I try to have a pause," he says. "I do the school run and empty the dishwasher.

"When you work your arse off and are constantly living in a hotel room, at some point you think, 'What am I doing? My family are growing up while I'm not there!' Sometimes you have to say, 'Stop!' Life taps you on the shoulder and says, 'Hey, remember me? You don't live in a pretend world!'"

Simm concludes with a refreshingly un-precious summary of his profession. "As an actor, you're always inhabiting someone else's world and pretending to be someone else. It's a ridiculous job! I worked with Timothy Dalton on Doctor Who, and in one scene he was firing bolts of lightning at me from his staff before we wrestled each other to the ground. Suddenly, he started killing himself laughing. He said, 'What on earth are we doing? I might as well be seven years old!' But that's why we do it.

"That's the brilliant thing about this job. You never have to grow up!"

'Exile' starts on BBC1 on 1 May

Jessie

Edit:
Montag, 25. April 2011, 19:10

John im Radio

Mit Dank an Peter Popper/TRA:

Cross-posting this from Simm-ply Simm:

John's set for two radio interviews as part of the ramp-up to Exile.

The first is tomorrow on BBC 6 Music's Shaun Keaveny Breakfast Show. The program airs from 7:00-10:00 a.m., but the writeup notes that John will be on after 9:00 a.m. (he is a self-proclaimed non-morning person, after all ) Since Shaun's an "irreverent music lover," I'm guessing the conversation will quickly seque into John's musical tastes. Get more info here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010m3l8

The next interview is on BBC Radio 4, a show called Loose Ends. Host Clive Anderson is joined by John, Imogen Stubbs, Jon Holmes, and Steve Pemberton. The 45-minute show featuring John first airs at 6:15 p.m. (18:15) on Saturday, April 30. Additional broadcasts take place at 10:15 on Thursday, May 5 and at 2:15 on Friday, May 6.
Check it out:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010r7cd

Also kurzgesagt morgen, 10.00 Uhr unserer Zeit BBC Radio 6 und am Samstag, 19.15 Uhr unserer Zeit, BBC Radio 4.

Jessie

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Jessie« (5. Juni 2011, 22:29)

Dienstag, 26. April 2011, 15:31

2. Teil des Interviews von Ian Wylie - Achtung, Spoiler!

http://lifeofwylie.com/2011/04/26/exile-john-simm-extras/

Danke an wibble/TRA!

April 26, 2011 · 7:00 am
↓ Jump to Comments
Exile: John Simm Extras

http://ianwylie.files.wordpress.com/2011…jpg?w=500&h=500

John Simm as Tom Ronstadt

“WHO invented this?”

Tom Ronstadt, played by John Simm, is in a pub, unimpressed with the world of karaoke.

“Have you any Smiths, Leonard Cohen?” he asks his screen sister Nancy (Olivia Colman), perusing the songbook in three-part BBC1 thriller Exile.

Who then proceeds to treat the locals to her version of Britney Spears’ Toxic.

There is much to love about Danny Brocklehurst’s drama, with a script as fresh as the day Morrissey first waved gladioli on Top Of The Pops while singing This Charming Man.

Not forgetting John’s own track record as songwriter and guitarist with Magic Alex, which adds an extra layer to the karaoke scene for those who have followed his career.

It’s a serious thriller with a shocking secret at its heart, co-starring Jim Broadbent as Tom and Nancy’s father Sam, a retired journalist now suffering from Alzheimer’s.

I’ve seen all three episodes – screened over consecutive nights from this Sunday (May 1) – and they pack a powerful punch.

Leavened by moments of humour, including John Simm riding on the back of a pink moped – or is it a scooter? – called Valerie.

John Simm as Tom

Shamefully ignored by the short-sighted panels who give out awards, John is one of Britain’s finest actors. As is Jim Broadbent.

Put them together on screen and you have something very special indeed, with added fizz from the terrific Olivia.

Plus strong support from Shaun Dooley and Claire Goose as Mike and Mandy.

Tom strips off in the third and concluding episode to share a bath with his dad, just as they did when he was a child.

Desperate to use past memories to unlock the secrets in his father’s mind.

Their final scene together had me reaching for the tissues, while cheering a truly sparkling three hours of television.

My feature interview with John Simm was published last week – you can read that here:
http://lifeofwylie.com/2011/04/21/exile-john-simm/

And my interview with Jim Broadbent is due to appear later this week.

For now, as promised, here are some of the edited extras from my round table chat with John that could not be squeezed into the main piece.

Plus a few extracts from the subsequent BAFTA preview screening of Exile episode one and Q&A.

There are some spoilers below but – I hope – nothing major.

Sam (Jim Broadbent) and Tom (John Simm)

Your character Tom?

“He’s the son of a brilliant journalist, a proper journalist up north in Manchester and wanted to do that, wanted to be like him. He worshipped his father. Then something terrible happened when he was about 17 and his father beat him really badly to within an inch of his life. A terrible beating. And he has no idea why.

“He found something in his father’s study because he wanted to be like his dad and he wondered why this was out of bounds. So he went snooping and he found a file with a name on it. And that’s the only thing he remembers.

“So he left after that and never went back and never spoke to his father again. Never saw his father again. His sister is increasingly bitter that he’s left her to look after their father on her own. So her life has kind of disappeared doing that. She’s a lovely woman but she’s understandably quite angry with him.

“He’s been down in London doing loads of cocaine and shagging loads of girls and becoming a journalist for a magazine.

Did you base him on anyone you know?

“I don’t know any of them. I’ve met some. But no, I didn’t base him on anyone I know at all. He became very successful but from snooping after celebs and doing that kind of thing. So he’s not very happy with himself and probably feels a bit disgusted with himself. He gets sacked from his job, hits a woman and drives back up north. And that’s where we find him. So that’s the kind of guy he is.

“He hits a woman. He’s drunk, he’s on drugs, he’s having an affair. The magazine is called Ransom and he’s having an affair with the boss’s wife. He gets sacked. He knocks on her door, he’s drunk and all over her and she slams the door in his face. And before she does that, he hits her. He immediately regrets it, it’s a terrible thing to do. And I think that’s the catalyst and he thinks, ‘I’ve got to get out of here.’ He gets in his flash, ridiculous car and drives up north, stopping only to do a line of coke in a motorway service station on the way. So he’s that kind of guy. A lovely fella.” (smiles)

Tom (John Simm) and Mandy (Claire Goose)

Another actor plays the younger Tom for the beating scene?

“I’m 40 now. I was 17 when he beat me up. So that would have been a push, even for the make-up department, as good as they are. I did see it. I saw what they filmed and it was pretty bad. And it’s quite weird seeing Jim Broadbent do something like that to somebody. It’s quite odd.”

Working with Jim? One of your heroes?

“Yeah, absolutely, one of my heroes. I love everything he’s been in. I’ve watched him ever since Blackadder, Slater in Only Fools And Horses. Since then he’s just become one of the greatest actors in the world and I’m a massive fan of his. It was awe-inspiring working with him, really. Even at the readthrough when I looked across and looked in his eyes and we started reading it, I thought, ‘OK, you’ve got to be on it here, on top of your game.’ He was wonderful. In no way was I disappointed in him, in any way whatsoever. He’s a lovely guy, a fantastic actor and he’s wonderful to work with.”

Did you do anything to build up the father and son rapport?

“We had a great time on set, we were doing gags. We went through most of Harry and Paul’s sketches every day. We just kept cracking each other up, really. I think that was essential because it’s such a heavy piece of drama, that if we didn’t keep it a light set and a nice atmosphere to work in, it would have been unbearable. It’s great stuff to do but you’ve got to keep it a bit jokey. And that was easy to do because the first few weeks it was me, Jim and Olivia Colman, who’s wonderful and, obviously, one of the funniest women in Britain. And so we just had a right old laugh. It was wonderful. Apart from the on set, which was grim, the actualy story itself. It was great to do.”

So which particular Harry and Paul characters did you major on?

“We did the two surgeons that go, ‘Forty, forty, forty-five, forty-five, forty, forty-five.’ We did that a lot. And the landlady and the writer, ‘I can’t say that I have…not really.’ All that. I’m letting the cat out of the bag here, he’s going to go mad.”

He’s quite a fan, is he, of Harry and Paul?

“He knows Harry. He texted him half way through it and said, ‘We are actually doing your sketches here.’ And Harry Enfield texted back and said, ‘Well, it’s in Manchester, so it’s quite cold, so I hope your forty, fortified against the weather.’” (laughs)

And the original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ftnHoCdD…player_embedded

The appeal of this role?

“I did Hamlet just before this in Sheffield and I thought, ‘There is no way I’m doing anything after this.’ I had a couple of months left until Christmas. I’d just done Mad Dogs and went straight on to Hamlet and I thought, ‘I’m not doing anything else.’ But when this arrived, it was one of those State of Play moments when you just read it and think, ‘Well, if I don’t do that then I’m an idiot. I don’t care when it is or how hard it’s going to be, I’ve got to do it. Because somebody else will do it and I’ll be watching it with my head in my hands.’ And he’s a brilliant writer, Danny. The best compliment I can pay to him, and I said this to him, was when I read it I didn’t look at the front and I thought Paul Abbott had written it. It’s that good. It’s Paul Abbott good. Obviously Paul had a lot to do with it but the writing is superb. It’s just a fantastic story.

“And also it gave me a chance to get back to what I did before Life On Mars and Doctor Who, which was gritty, hard-hitting drama, like Jimmy McGovern, Paul Abbott and Tony Marchant kind of stuff. So I was keen to get back to do some of that, get back to that kind of thing.”

Comparisons to State Of Play because playing a journalist again?

“Maybe. They’re very different journalists. Cal McCaffery was an excellent journalist, a good man. There wasn’t as much of a journey with him. He was very professional right to the very end and he did what he had to do to get the job done. This is a very different journalist. He’s professionally a mess and he’s doing something he hates and hates himself for it. But there is a redemption in it because he’s inspired by his dad all over again and then realises that what he’s doing is kind of vacuous and pointless.”

He has the journalistic skills which he’s never used properly. So he uses those to solve the mystery?

“Yeah, I guess for the first time. We don’t know his back story, whether he’s worked his way to up to become one of these kind of journalists. But I don’t think there was much serious reporting going on along the way. I don’t know how he got there but he certainly has never used those skills.”

Screen father has Alzheimer’s Disease – are you familiar with that?

“Relatives of friends. But Tom is very shocked by how much it has taken over his life. Because he hasn’t seen him for so long, he barely knows who he is. Which is really upsetting. It must be an awful feeling.”

Does Tom long to forgive his father in a way?

“He wants to find out why. His father was a good man, a decent human being, a brilliant journalist, just a brilliant local top man. Everybody thought he was an incredible man, not just journalist. And so he misses him and he misses that and he’s just very confused about what happened. And because his father can’t speak to him or explain what happened in any kind of way because he’s so far gone with Alzheimer’s, he has to do it on his own.”

“Tom hits a woman and you think, ‘Well, maybe that’s something to do with his father. Is that an excuse? There’s no excuse whatsoever. It’s revealed in the end why his father hit him and you totally understand why. And so does he, at the end. There is a reason. It’s a shocking, shocking reason.”

How did he feel after Hamlet had finished? Completely exhausted?

“Completely exhausted, yeah. I felt like a hollow shell. But it was incredible. It was the most incredible experience of my acting career. It was amazing. It was sold out. The reaction was stunning, every single performance. To nearly a thousand people every single time. The gasps when Gertrude drank the poison at the end, told you that most of the audience hadn’t seen it. It was just fantastic. It was wonderful. I had a great time.

“I lost about half a stone. It took me a while to get used to doing it. It was exhausting. Absolutely mentally, physically exhausting. But I’ve never had a buzz like it. We did a public dress rehearsal, which I’d never done before and it was packed. And when I came off stage – two of my best friends were in it, Dylan Brown and Colin Tierney…and Dylan was stood there. He looked at me. And I said, ‘I’ve just played Hamlet.’ And he went, ‘I know.’ And he gave me a big hug. It was one of the most incredible feelings. It was just like, ‘Oh my God, I really have just played Hamlet.’

“And then I could start playing with it. And the best thing about the whole experience was that this part, you can change him every single night. You can play with it. Once you get that ridiculous pressure of press night out of the way, which is ridiculous…I’ve never felt nerves like it. You just literally get through it in a daze, try and get through it. Once that’s out of the way, then you can carry on where you left off in rehearsals and just play with it, this amazing character, and say these incredible lines every night. It was a joy.

“I’m quite happy with what I’m doing in my career. I’d love to do Shakespeare again at some point, I’d love to play Iago. There’s loads of parts – Richard III I’d love to do. King Lear, maybe not yet. But I’d love to do more classics. I’d love to do Chekhov and I’d love to do Pinter. There’s tons more theatre I’d love to do but not yet. I’m going to give it a while. Because the problem with Hamlet, it’s like a double-edged sword. Once you’ve done that, where do you go from there? Nothing is ever going to be as fulfilling or as wonderful to play, I shouldn’t imagine. I don’t know. I’ll give it a while.”

Tom (John Simm), Sam (Jim Broadbent) and Nancy (Olivia Colman)

Having done Hamlet, is TV not as challenging for you?

“It’s totally different. It’s a totally different muscle to use. The muscle I used in Life On Mars and in this to learn lines, because of being in every single scene, Life On Mars prepared me well for Exile, actually, because he’s in every single scene again. It’s brilliant in a totally different way. Different in every single way. You get two minutes, maybe, tops, to do a performance and then you have to do it again and again and again and again and again and again and again. When you do the theatre you can just be that character the whole way though and not come out of character. It’s all split up when you’re filming. You’re trying to work out where you’ve just come from or you haven’t filmed it yet. So it’s a different discipline. But equally as enjoyable.”

Still excited by roles?

“It’s a challenge. Hamlet was a challenge. All of it is. If it’s not a challenge then I’d find it deathly boring, I think.”

Mad Dogs 2 on way?

“We’re up for it. Why not? It was such fun to film. And I think it’s pretty good as well.”

Going back to Exile, was your own father in real life inspirational towards the kind of career that you’ve had?

“Absolutely. He was absolutely inspirational. He’s the reason I went on stage. As everybody knows, he was a club artist. So, yeah, he inspired me to go on stage, definitely. And there were lots of parallels in it. Without me getting too personal, there are parallels that the northern boy goes down south and becomes a success and goes back up north and deals with all the people that he knew.

“Sometimes people are different with you if you haven’t been back for a long time and they’ve seen you on TV. Old school friends, it can be a bit complicated and a bit strange. So I could draw on all that. Golden bollocks driving back into town in his flash car. Not that I ever had a car like this idiot. It’s a Lotus. My back went trying to get out of it. It’s ridiculous. It’s a fantastic car but it’s just got ****** written on the windscreen.”

Mandy (Claire Goose) and Tom (John Simm)

Why tend to do no more than two series of anything? Life On Mars and The Lakes?

“I think there’s many reasons. I get bored. The Lakes burnt me and Jimmy McGovern knows, because he actually apologised about the second series of The Lakes because he gave it off to loads of different writers. Loads of different producers, loads of different directors, too many cooks. And I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. It was a missed opportunity because it was so good, The Lakes, and I was desperate to do another one that good. And even though the second series was fantastic in many ways, it was nowhere near the first one, I don’t think. And Jimmy knows that. So that kind of burnt my fingers a bit and I got a bit scared about going back to do another one, of anything.

“That goes for Life On Mars, I think. It was, ‘I’ve done it. I’ve done everything I can with this character, there’s nowhere else I can go.’

So taking a break now?

“Hopefully. I’m going to try to. There’s a few things knocking about but I’m going to take a little time off because I was away for most of the year. Yeah, just to re-introduce myself to the family and then off I go again. Hopefully.

“I read things and say no, or maybe. And then they go. I do say no sometimes and say don’t send me anything. Like I said after Hamlet and then Exile landed on the doorstep. So sometimes it’s good that they ignore me. But then I get my head turned by a brilliant script. It’s always about the writing. I’m a sucker for it. So, we’ll see.”

Tom (John Simm) and Mike (Shaun Dooley)

Several weeks later John took part in a BAFTA Q&A after a big screen preview screening of Exile episode one:

Tom Ronstadt?

“There were elements of him that were quite easy for me to relate to. I grew up in a town very near the town that we filmed in and it was quite a similar situation. I left when I was 16 and I went to London. I did go back and see my dad but the whole of the returning back home and the meeting old friends and being uncomfortable. I can relate to some of that.”

Father and son relationship in Exile?

“It is very potent. I’ve had difficult relationships with my father within my life. You just draw on what you can and experiences of friends.”

TV drama?

“I don’t watch much of anything. I watch kids’ programmes. Not from choice. But there certainly are fantastic dramas out there.”

http://ianwylie.files.wordpress.com/2011…jpg?w=333&h=500

The scene at the start of episode one where he hits his lover, played by real life wife Kate Magowan?

“They’re difficult to do those scenes. But they are very technical. You’ve got to be absolutely bang on and you have to make it look like it’s happened. When he hits the woman at the beginning and when he gets hit at the end, all those kinds of scenes. And the scenes with Jim, pushing him on to a bed – and I have to try and almost drown him in a bath. They’re not particularly pleasant things to do. You’ve got to gear yourself up and get yourself in the right frame of mind.”

Northern drama – why is it so great?

“It’s probably there are very good writers that come from there and they’re making a big success for themselves.”

*Exile begins on BBC1 at 9pm on Sunday and continues at the same time on Monday and Tuesday.

Jessie

Edit:
Dienstag, 26. April 2011, 22:04

The One Show, Mittwoch, 27.4.

John ist morgen zu Gast in der "One Show" auf BBC 1. Hoffentlich stellt's jemand bald auf YouTube ein.

Danke an capribird auf TRA!

Jessie

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Jessie« (5. Juni 2011, 22:33)

LifeOnMars

Assistant Commissioner

Mittwoch, 27. April 2011, 00:18

Exile Trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYAyBkdkXI8

Mann, sieht das gut aus! Muss morgen mal die DVD vorbestellen.

Mittwoch, 27. April 2011, 15:51

Danke!!

Hier die neuesten Infos von TRA:

Interview in "METRO" - Dank an girlfrommars und wibble:

"His career began in music before he hit it big in the past. Now Keith Watson finds the Life On Mars star looking to the future It's a good time to be talking to John Simm about his latest BBC starring role. His beloved Manchester United have dispatched Chelsea in the Champions League the night before and Simm, that rare thing, a Man Utd fan from Manchester, is bubbling. 'I was a bag of nerves,' he laughs. 'As a kid you cry a lot but as an adult it's worse. You know everything that can go wrong.' Simm, affable and articulate and a world away from the scally he's been painted as in some interviews, would be happy to chat about football all day but the business in hand is Exile, a three-part thriller in which he plays Tom, the journalist son of a journalist father, played by Jim Broadbent.

It's a multi-layered story with a twist - Tom's career is on its uppers, his dad is in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's - which starts out as a portrait of a fractured family, Tom returning home with his tail between his legs, before delving into political corruption. It's a turn of events that could give Tom the chance to turn his soured life around.

'The really strong thing I could relate to with Tom was the idea of this one-time golden boy returning to his roots,' says Simm. 'It's really strange when you go back if you've had a bit of success because everyone wants to see if you've changed, like that's a bad thing. They're on the back foot, so they over compensate, like they're not impressed at all. It's all "I knew you when you were nothing." It's strange.' It's that sense of being a stranger in your own life that Simm brings to Tom, a deeply unpleasant character who, initially at least, has no truck with his father's diminished mental state. Yet, thanks to Simm's innate likeability, Tom somehow stays just this side of being a royal pain. 'Tom's become this pathetic excuse for a journalist, a terrible man, then he gets the chance to recover himself. My challenge was to make him in some way likeable, to make you understand the choices he made.' Where Tom and Simm most decidedly part company is on the question of the father and son relationship. Tom's memory is still bruised by the beating which caused him to flee home 18 years before, whereas Simm enjoyed a remarkably close bond with his dad, one that caused him to make a tough choice of his own.

'I had the most incredible relationship with my dad. I started off as a musician and we were this double act, a vocal and guitar duo. When I was a teenager we played clubs and stuff and when I decided to stop it was hard for him. But I had to decide whether I wanted to do that for the rest of my life or be something else.' That something else, of course, was acting. But for much of the early part of his career Simm was torn between the two, playing in his own band, Magic Alex, and appearing on stage with Manc mates New Order and supporting Coldplay alongside Ian McCulloch of Echo & The Bunnymen fame. This was major venue stuff.

'I guess I scratched my rock star itch,' sighs Simm. 'I was happy to stop at the end. I realised I was not particularly comfortable being myself on stage in front of lots of people. I was shuffling about at the back with body language that said "don't look at me". I was much happier acting, being someone else.' He's best known as time-tripping detective Sam Tyler in the much-loved Life On Mars and it's a part he looks back on with affection. But, now 40, a family man with a mortgage and kids, he's aware that he can no longer trade on the boyish charms that have served him so well in everything from The Lakes to Clocking Off. Playing Hamlet on stage in Sheffield last year has shifted his career into another dimension.

'There's that great Withnail quote: "I shall never play the Dane" - I thought that was me. But I did and I felt like I'd grown up, it gave me a whole new level of confidence and people saw me differently, I wasn't that kid any more. Now anything seems possible.' Exile begins on BBC1 on Sunday at 9pm."

Und ein Link zu Digital Spy - Danke an wibble:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/tubetalk/…-john-simm.html

Jessie

Edit:
Mittwoch, 27. April 2011, 21:09

wibble/TRA:

Red Productions video mit John:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msTYL46RI…nel_video_title

Und laut pinkgemz/TRA ist er morgen auch bei Bill Turnbull bei BBC Breakfast.

Jessie

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Jessie« (5. Juni 2011, 22:36)