Du bist nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Life on Mars Forum - Gefangen in den 70ern. Falls dies dein erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lies bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird dir die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus solltest du dich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutze das Registrierungsformular, um dich zu registrieren oder informiere dich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls du dich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert hast, kannst du dich hier anmelden.

Montag, 15. Oktober 2012, 18:26

Cheltenham Literature Festival, 14. Oktober 2012

Sorry fuer's nur Reinkopieren:

Re: Angst Never Looked So Good ~ John Simm
« Reply #4824 on: October 14, 2012, 10:07 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Talk was phantastic! Sitting in the pub now with capribird and sunnynight, and Johnelle and a friend from Simmply-Simm are here as well.

John sports a beard at the mo (farmer!) and seemed quite relaxed. Though he ruffled his hair a lot, dragged his hand over his face and flexing his foot. He wore "mad" socks and I thought his feet looked quite big in the shoes he was wearing. :-)

The Q&A ended quite suddenly, last question, applause (he was told to enjoy it!!) and kind of off he went. We ran round the back and caught him there (having checked out the possible exit routes beforehand) and he posed for some photos and signed some stuff, for example sunnynight's poster of her with John and Phil. He tried to leave quite quickly and told us he needed to get in the car but then they (Kate was there as well) went inside The Writer's Room. We waited outside and a representative came out and said that he would come out again, no photos but autographs. So I got my Betrayal book signed. :-) He then went back in again and I felt stupid, having said things like "Betrayal was too short, why can't you do a nice long play like Phil does." to which he replied "I did Hamlet, that was 3 hours long!" *hides*

Jessie

« Reply #4825 on: October 14, 2012, 10:22 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, the very first question was what the reason was for him to play the Master, and whether he'll reprise the role. I cringed at the question, and he... well, he did quite well. But... Other questions were about 24 Hour Party People, the Devil's Whore, whether they got to keep the Camberwick Green puppets, whether he's still got the leather jacket from LoM...

Jessie

« Reply #4826 on: October 14, 2012, 10:50 PM »

Oh, and he talked about having been in the very first episode of Clocking Off, and that that must have been the first time he met Phil Glenister, and that he can't get rid of him now. He called him "my husband" and said that people do talk.

Jessie

« Reply #4827 on: October 14, 2012, 10:56 PM »

Oh, and he scratched his beard a lot. It must be itchy!

He wore a suit jacked and jeans and a denim? shirt. And those stripey socks.

Jessie

« Reply #4830 on: Today at 09:06:40 AM »

Well, still feel stupid (and am, did forget to set the alarm clock to GMT!!) but well... Seems he didn't recognize me from CollectorMania and Betrayal but hadn't expected that. He meets so many people. Plus I'm happy if he doesn't remember me asking stupid questions!!

The interviewer was quite OK, she just started up with "What was it like, growing up in Leeds..." and I thought "Oh no, do your homework properly!" but well, he explained, and she rephrased the question to "What was it like NOT growing up in Leeds..." They talked about his Dad doing the clubs and teaching him the ukulele and later the guitar, and she asked him whether it served as a kind of barrier, whether he hid behind that, and he said yes, he might have.

More later, going for brekkie now.

Jessie

« Reply #4831 on: Today at 10:57:21 AM »

He also said that he didn't tell anyone at school that he played the clubs, they did lots of music no-one listened to at his age and was quite obsessed with Elvis and had a quiff and long hair in the back which - he didn't realize back then - was in fact a mullet. :-) Also, once the baby sitter gave him an AC/DC album and then he had became obsessed with that. One day, there was a gig with his Dad and the local paper which announced it made a mistake and didn't print "Us 2" which was the name he and his Dad used but "U 2" instead. He thought that they should correct it but his Dad said no-one would even notice or something like that. When they got to the venue, it was packed! He did some kind of soundcheck and played the first few chords of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and the people roared!! He didn't want to play because lots of people from school were there and he thought that they expected U 2 but his Dad said not playing wasn't an option. So on stage they went. And he said after the first song (can't remember what it was) they kind of accepted that they had been stupid to think that there was a secret U 2 gig. :-)

Jessie

« Reply #4832 on: Today at 11:47:46 AM »

They then went on to talk about him starting with acting, he said he got the idea after seeing "Rebel without a cause" and mentioned his drama teacher Mr Weller, and that he then went to a college in Blackpool and on to London to drama school. He left home at 16 and had lived with his mother after his parents split up which was difficult for him as he was still gigging with his Dad and he was his hero and things like that. At drama school he said that they received a classical education, and everything was quite serious, not as much fun as RADA sounded from people who went there instead. He said he did musical theatre at first but then was cured from that by some play he didn't like, and he did some good stuff over the years likke "Billy Liar" etc. but in the last year he had to do some stuff he just hated. But he said some of thethings they did there he still considers to be amongst the best plays and performanced he's ever seen. Well, he then reported that he left one term early because he got a good role offered and got himself an agent and off he went into TV. With "Rumpole of the Bailey". He had done an episode of something (The Bill?) before but his scene was cut. They talked about the difference in filming and doing theatre work and he said it's completely different as for TV, as you do a scene for episode 6 and then one for episode 4 and you have to think about where you are at that point, where the character got there, was happened in between etc. He said what he learned at drama school didn't really prepare him for that, he learned that on the go. And he learned that it's important to know what the camera is going to capture, he still does ask the camera operator where the frame goes to know how to play, how to express emotions, just with his face or the whole body. They also talked about that classical training, they did do 2 hours of ballet every morning and learned that everything has to come from the middle of the body etc. And he said that there's no "one" method, you do learn different techniques to help you get to that point you need to be at to do that scene you're about to do if it doesn't come naturally, and you have to find out what works for you. The interviewer asked him what he meant by that it comes naturally and he said, in the end and after some thinking, well, if you just pretend. Just play. He had in the beginning also said that he found it quite easy to do play, to just be someone else.

He also said that on his first day, one of the older students said to him that he shouldn't take on board everything they taught him but pick those things which worked for him, and that that really helped him. There were people who stressed themselves because they couldn't do all the things they were supposed to do/learn and go crazy over that but he stayed cool and just kept those for himself which worked for him.

He also mentioned some theoretical stuff they had to learn, symbolized by graphics and stuff, and that he didn't get it at first but then realized what they were on about when he did those things in practice on stage.

Well, he then did those smaller roles, playing school boys like in Heartbat etc., some nutier as others. The interviewer had asked him quite early what it was that he gets cast as nutters that often, whether it's his face or that he does angst so well, he didn't know really. He said he was really excited to get the role in Cracker as it was a show his family liked to watch and he got to play with Liam Cunningham and thought it couldn't get any better. He was so happy that he got the part and couldn't believe it when he came on set the first day, and there was Liam's trailer etc.

Jessie
"Don't be such a jessie!" (Gene Hunt)

Montag, 15. Oktober 2012, 18:30

Cheltenham Literature Festival, 14. Oktober 2012

« Reply #4833 on: Today at 12:16:16 PM »

He then went on to do The Lakes and said that he thought series 1 was brilliant but unfortunately, series 1 wasn't that much, and that Jimmy McGovern actually apologized to him 15 years later for that. And that when he read the script for the first episode of Clocking off which had beeb written by an unknown apprentice of Jimmy's, Paul Abbot, he thought that it had been written by Jimmy himself, whci, of course, Paul was very happy to hear.

He then was set to play a part in "Master and Commander" directed by Peter Weir. He had met him and Peter had liked him and his work and wanted to have him in the film so he said he'd create a role for him, throw five minor characters together and make them one for him. John said yes and flew out to Baja California without having read the script - always a mistake! - only to find that he had about 5 lines to say and filming took 6 months. Kate and he had just had their first child and he decided that no, he couldn't do it. So he talked to the producer and Mr Weir and well, he didn'tlike it. Apparently, he was VERY angry and John thought that that had been it regarding his Hollywood career. But well, Peter Weir is not Hollywood - he's Australian.

But when he came home, he found the script to State of Play on his doorstep. Paul Abbot had sent it to him although he knew John was to film in America - and nowhe was free, he could do it which he was more than happy about. So it lead to something good. He followed his instincts once againn and they were right.

Oh, and he had thought about perhaps becoming a reporter before he decided to go into acting!

Jessie

« Reply #4834 on: Today at 12:31:45 PM »

Then on to Life on Mars. He said that he was sent the script and he started reading and then was like "What's going on??" He's got the accident and wakes up in 1973??? He thought there were some pages missing or something. He thought it was a crazy idea and threw the script in the bin. His agent called a few days later and asked him if he had read it and he said he thought it was crazy but she asked him to read it again as they were really keen on making itso he did, and he thought it would either be a massive failure, or might work.

He then talked about having to be in every scene, something he thinks hadn't been done before, and then how he decided to leave after 2 series because he was away from his family for 6 months each time, i.e. a whole year altogehter, which is a lot when you have children. And that Kate said it was his decision, he should do another series if he wanted to but he wanted to save his marriage and also had lost all the excitement about acting because he hadn't done theatre for so long. That he thought about what to do to get the excitement back, and that he then did return to the stage.

Also, he mntioned that he didn't really know where to take the character anymore, there's only so much eye-rolling and tutting that you can do, and that apparently the writers had so much joy writing for Gene Hunt [but not for Sam] who is such a great character. So they didn't have a problem writing more for him.

Jessie

« Reply #4835 on: Today at 12:55:43 PM »

The interviewer then said that LoM kind of prepared him for Hamlet in that it's a play where the main character is on stage almost all the time. He said that he went to England for 20 minutes exactly. But yes, that it's exhausting but also the greatest role ever and that if you are offered Hamlt at 40, you don't say No. He knew one year in advance that he would do it and started learning the long monologues while doing Speaking in Tongues and he thought if he can manage those, he can do it.

Before Hamlet, he had done Elling, of course, and Speaking in Tongues so he had some theatre practice again before he tackled Hamlet. :-)

They then talked about The Village a little, he said that the story sttretches over a hundred years and that he plays the father of the main character. And that it's an ensemble piece so it doesn't focus on him so much which is nice because he actually gets a few days off in between. Plus, he's reunited with one of his wives from the Clocking Off episode which was also a factor in his decision to take the role.

He also said that he is in the very lucky position to be offered roles rather than having to audition, and being able to chose whether he wants to do something or not which is not true for everyone in the business. They had, earlier, also talked about how The Bill used to be a place where both actors and writers could sharpen their teeth, really learn the job, and that it's a shame it isn't being produced anymore.

Jessie

« Reply #4836 on: Today at 02:37:54 PM »

Regarding the Master question, he said that it was his son who wanted him to do it, and that he would come back if it was an interesting script and he could do something new with the character. He said that Russel T Davis had a very distinct idea how he wanted the Master to be and he had to play him like that. He loved doing it, both times, but he was very nutty and it was too much even for him sometimes. He also said that there were funny reactions on set, people laughing etc. He said that the blond hair had been his idea and that it was a mistake. And that he would play him again if he could do him differently.

Jessie

« Reply #4837 on: Today at 03:05:17 PM »

Regarding Sexby he said it was a fantastic role to play, and that he really wanted to play that part because he had a metal hand and was on a horse and had a sword. He said he had originally been offered a different role (he wouldn't say which one) but he read the script and wanted to play Sexby, and he really had to convince them that he was right for the role. But he did and thus was growing the beard. He said something about already growing the beard for the role in connection with something else but I can't remember now what it was. Sorry.

I'm writing this from memory so I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of stuff but I hope you get an impression of the event.

Jessie

« Reply #4838 on: Today at 03:21:54 PM »

I can't remember the question regarding 24 Hour Party People (and neither can sunnynight) but the to Camberwick Green question he replied that no, they were not allowed to have the puppets. He and Phil wanted them but they only were given a picture of them. Which, of course, was not what they wanted. A swearword muttered under his breath might have escaped him.

Jessie

« Reply #4840 on: Today at 03:29:18 PM »

Regarding the LoM jacket, he said that no, he had it but them gave it away to have it auctioned for charity. A friend of Kate's (with a nod to her) was doing an auction to raise money for some machine for a children's hospital and it raised a lot of money. He said he loved the jacket but that it was a no brainer. If someone was willing to pay that much money for that old used piece of leather. He said it had to go fo this and that he doesn't know who's got it now.

Jessie

« Reply #4841 on: Today at 03:36:47 PM »

Hi capribird! It was so lovely to see you again and yes, we had lots of laughs!

And Johnelle - sorry we couldn't say bye but the landlord wanted to close up so we went. Hope you two got home alright! Nice to see you again!

I had my book of Betrayal signed like I posted before, didn't get a photo but well... It was lovely to see him and talk to him (even if I made a complete fool of myself) and that's more important than a photo (though it would have been nice).

Jessie

LifeOnMars

Assistant Commissioner

Beruf: Anträgeschreiberin

• Private Nachricht senden

Montag, 15. Oktober 2012, 23:34

Danke, Jessie, für den Bericht.
Ist ja echt schade oder eher ärgerlich, dass die meisten Fragen total überflüssig waren, weil die Antworten - hätte man ein wenig recherchiert - bereits bekannt waren. :rolleyes:

Nun ja, ein paar kleine, neue Infos gab es ja zum Glück auch. :thumbsup:

Lässt er sich die Haare denn jetzt auch wachsen oder bleibt's beim kurzen Haupthaar mit viel Gesichtsbehaarung für die neue Rolle?
My name is Sam Tyler. DCI Sam Tyler.
That much I do know! The rest is anyone's guess.
Because one minute I was in 2006, the next I'm in 1973!!!
So the question now is: What happened? Why am I here?

Dienstag, 16. Oktober 2012, 13:22

Wir hatten ja auch ewig überlegt, was wir ihn fragen könnten, sunnynight hatte sogar Phil gefragt. Der wußte natürlich nix Gscheits, er kann John ja immer fragen, sieht ihn ja oft genug. Er hat gemeint, was er zum Lunch hatte. Haha ...

Hab ich John dann erzählt, nach dem Event, er hat gemeint, "Too late now." :-)

Es waren halt nur 5 Fragen oder so, die Zeit war dann plötzlich um, war nur die letzte Viertelstunde oder so. Vorher hat immer die Interviewtante die Fragen gestellt bzw. halt die Themen angeschnitten.

Jessie

Edit (Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2012, 13.32 Uhr GMT):

Die Haare sind relativ kurz, nur vorne oben halt etwas laenger, nach vorne gekaemmt. Der Bart ist relativ kurz, gepflegt, ca. 2 cm oder so, haengt also nicht runter, aber bedeckt Backen und Kinn.

Jessie

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Jessie« (17. Oktober 2012, 14:32)

Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2012, 14:34

Premiere of "Everyday", Odeon West End Leicester Square, 17. Oktober 2012

Die Absperrungen fuer den roten Teppich werden um 4 aufgebaut. Ich schau, dass ich da schon da bin und einen guten Platz ergattere, so dass ich vielleicht wenigstens ein paar Fotos machen kann.

Danach geht's dann zu Phil in's Theater, den Film seh ich ja am Sonntag. Ist zwar schade, dass ich ihn heute nicht "mit John" sehen kann, aber ich kann mich halt nicht zerreissen.

Jessie

Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2012, 02:31

Premiere von "Everyday", 17. Oktober 2012, Oden West End Leicester Square

Der Rest folgt (von der Spiegelreflexkamera, muss ich erst noch entwickeln und scannen lassen).

Jessie

LifeOnMars

Assistant Commissioner

Donnerstag, 18. Oktober 2012, 16:05

Danke für die Fotos, Jessie. Schade, dass die meisten unscharf sind. Hattest du Spaß? Und wie ist der Film?

Freitag, 19. Oktober 2012, 02:00

Sorry, ich musste den Blitz abschalten. Die von der Spiegelreflex sollten besser sein, ich hatte extra einen besonders lichtempfindlichen Film gekauft. Aber die dauern halt noch ein bisschen.

Den Film hab ich noch nicht gesehen, den seh ich erst am SO. Werde dann berichten. Hatte ja am MI Karten fuer Phil und hab mich mit tHgo von TRA getroffen.

Jessie

Edit (1.20 Uhr):
http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/pictures-56th…-festival-day-8

Edit (2.02 Uhr):
http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/video-bfi-lon…-festival-day-8

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Jessie« (19. Oktober 2012, 03:01)

LifeOnMars

Assistant Commissioner

Freitag, 19. Oktober 2012, 14:05

Hahaha, wie cool, du bist ja mit im Film! :biggrin: 8) :thumbsup: Jetzt bist du internetberühmt.

Dann wünsch ich dir viel Spaß am Sonntag! :mampf:

Samstag, 20. Oktober 2012, 02:07

Tja mei, die Schoenen und die Reichen lassen sich alle mit mir fotografieren. Wartet, bis Ihr mein Foto mit Richie Sambora gesehen habt, LOL!! Und sogar Phil liest meine Berichte auf TRA und weiss, dass ich "Jessie" bin.

Werde dann berichten, wie der Film war. Soll ja ein "sob fest" sein oder so. Schnief ...

John hat uebrigens getwittert, dass der Film nach dem London Film Festival noch in einigen wenigen Kinos laufen soll, mal schauen. Danach kommt er dann auf Channel 4 - da sollte sich ja dann was machen lassen. ;)

Jessie

Sonntag, 4. November 2012, 18:40

Das offizielle Foto des BFI:

auf Twitter veröffentlicht. Mit Dank an Peter Popper/TRA.

Meine restlichen Bilder hab ich im "Everyday"-Thread gepostet (hatte vergessen, daß die anderen hier sind, sorry).

Jessie

Dienstag, 6. November 2012, 20:27

Das mit der kleinen Rolle in "Master and Commander" fand ich interessant. Mir hat der Film sehr gut gefallen und Peter Weir ist ein ausgezeichneter Regisseur. Russel Crowe und Paul Bettany sind darin echt gut. Tut mir irgendwie Leid, dass John da abgesagt hat, weil er mehr Text wollte. Obwohl natürlich dafür dann State of Play kam.

Mit Remake mit Russel Crowe... :biggrin:
You know when you're alive because you can feel, and you know when you're not because you can't feel anything.

Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2012, 09:56

Von flip18/TRA:

John will be doing a talk at the Cheltenham Literature Festival on Sunday 14th October.
http://www.cheltenhamfestivals.com/literature

STUDIO, STAGE & SCREEN
John simm
John Simm is one of our most acclaimed
and versatile actors well-known for his
stage roles in Hamlet and Betrayal as well
as TV work including Van Gogh in The
Yellow House, Crime and Punishment and
Life on Mars. Here he joins us to discuss his
varied and fascinating career including
working with Jimmy McGovern, Paul
Abbott, Abi Morgan and many others.
> L329 > tHE FORUM – MONtPELLIER GaRDENS
> 8-9PM > £12 RES

Karten gibt's wohl ab 20.8.

Jessie

http://cheltfestivals.blogspot.co.uk/201…-john-simm.html

Mit Dank an BronzeCortina/TRA!

Jessie

Montag, 17. Dezember 2012, 18:36

Flicker Club, Dezember 2011

Anläßlich Phils Lesung gestern abend, ein paar Fotos von John vom letzten Jahr:

Von der John-Simm-Facebook-Seite, auf TRA gepostet von BronzeCortina.

Jessie

Edit (Mittwoch, 19. Dezember 2012, 9.36 Uhr):

Noch eins:

http://ow.ly/i/1em4I

Jessie

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Jessie« (19. Dezember 2012, 09:35)

Montag, 29. Juli 2013, 02:36

Audi International Polo 2013, 28. Juli 2013

John (und Phil) heute beim Audi International Polo 2013 in Egham:
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search…al&p=John+Simm#

Kate und Beth waren natürlich auch dabei, und noch ein paar uns zumindest vom Sehen bekannte Leutchen ...

Mit Dank an Peter Popper/TRA.

Jessie

Donnerstag, 18. Dezember 2014, 09:18

Life hatte es ja schon erwähnt, John war am 7. Dezember bei "Edward Scissorhands":

https://www.facebook.com/ActorJohnSimm/p…4960675/?type=1

Hier ist noch ein Foto, wo er mit drauf ist:

https://twitter.com/JohnSimmNews/status/542765683319525376

Mit Dank an Blades (Peter Popper) auf Twitter!

Jessie

Freitag, 17. April 2015, 09:56

John am 30.3. beim BAFTA-Screening von "Code of a Killer":

Bitte nicht woanders posten - please don't post anywhere else on the net.

Jessie

Donnerstag, 14. Januar 2016, 19:19

John bei Soho Radio (mit David Morrissey) am Montag, 18.1.2016

David MorrisseyVerified account ‏@davemorrissey64 3h3 hours ago
Be sure to join my on my show on @sohoradio this Monday at 10-Midnight. My guest this week is the great John Simm.
43 retweets 122 likes
Reply Retweeted 43
Liked 122

Here's the link: http://www.sohoradiolondon.com/

Mit Dank an Peter Popper/TRA.

Hoffentlich warten dann nicht zu viele Fans vergeblich an der Stage Door, sondern dann besser vor'm Radiosender!

Jessie

Dienstag, 26. Januar 2016, 23:43

Peter Popper/TRA hat netterweise die Sendung aufgenommen:

http://www.domeofstars.com/forum/index.p…47384#msg547384

Jessie

Samstag, 28. Mai 2016, 12:22

Masterclass am 21. Juni 2016 (Haymarket Theatre, London)

Am 21. Juni 2016 gibt's nachmittags 'ne Masterclass mit John, im Theatre Royal am Haymarket.

Jessie